Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Everybody's doing it? Don't you want to be part of the "in" crowd?

Sure, you've seen this before. But here is what my first-grade crew came up with using the "how to blow a bubble" project that's all the rage on Pinterest. I created my own "first, next, then, finally" writing template. If - and let's face it, when - I do this project again, I'll go the paper plate route instead of using construction paper for the faces. The construction paper was too flimsy - although I do LOVE using the new "flesh" colored construction paper. Seen it? It's awesome.
To get us started, I modeled how precise they needed to be by asking them what I should write. They told me "put the gum in your mouth." I did, without unwrapping it. They told me to blow the gum. I took it out of my mouth and blew on it. It took a bit, and they cracked up at me, but eventually they got the details down.
I gave them a piece of bubble gum and had them write as they did each step. This helped A LOT and went much better, I think, than if I'd have had them chew the gum and then write, trying to recall all the steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment