Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy 2012!

This week in writing specials, the kindergarten kids did some scientific research on gingerbread men. Specifically, we researched how we ate them! The kids have been talking about graphing, how to read graphs and what graphics represent. They've also been studying directions, left, right, et al.
They were each given a cookie and instructed to only take one bite and put their cookie back on their plate. When they'd all taken a bite, I gave them each a printout of their name and they came up and labeled a gingerbread man I'd cut out ahead of time. They put their name under the appropriate spots - head, stomach, left arm, right arm, left leg, right leg. When we were finished graphing, we discussed our findings. They had a lot of fun with the project. The gingerbread men didn't stand a chance.

In first grade, we did the Snowman Soup project that is all over Pinterest. We started by reading the book "In the Flaky Frosty Morning" which ends with the snowman turning in to snowman soup!
I added in a writing project by creating a "recipe" template that the kids had to complete before they were allowed to come "shop" for items for their soup. For instance, if they wanted to include mittens, they had to have written a recipe that called for mittens. We've been talking about adding specific details so they had to use specifics and adjectives ... they couldn't just write "scarf." So they wrote things like "red scarf" or "blue mittens" and I made the construction paper available so they could cut out their materials. The message being that they had to have a complete writing piece with specific details.
Rather than gluing our soup ingredients onto a flat circle like the original idea, I had the kids put their pieces in a styrofoam bowl. I wrote their names on the bottom of the bowl and after school, I used a hot glue gun, er um, I mean a, low temp glue gun as hot glue guns are illegal at my school, and glued the bowl and a plastic spoon to their placemat onto which they'd glued their recipe during class.
Here's what the project looks like all put together.
If you'd like a copy of the recipe template we used, I'll gladly share. It's a pdf which I can't upload here :(

Finally, in second grade writing specials this week, the kids did the New Year's Resolution project. I stressed that I was looking for detailed writing. They did the writing Wednesday and made their faces today. I had the kids glue their writing and their faces to a sentence strip. I added nametags to their projects and used the aforementioned glue gun to add the blower thingees (work with me, it's been a long day). Here's what they look like in the hall!

That's it for now. I'm off to Pinterest to steal, I mean research other projects! 

1 comment:

  1. I love the Snowman Soup project your class did. I see that this was posted a long time ago. I would like to do this with my kiddos. Is there any way you could send me the template you used? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete