Friday, February 24, 2012

Colorful writing

In 1903, there were eight colors of Crayola crayons ... black, blue, brown, green, orange, red, violet, and yellow. According to the Crayola Web site, there are now 120 colors - everything from Macaroni and Cheese to Inchworm, Screamin' Green, and Fuzzy Wuzzy Brown.
Of course, in writing, we discuss how important adjectives are and often the easiest place to start is with color ... but I wanted to "up" the game of the fifth-graders' descriptive writing so I designed a template for them to use. They chose a color, came up with a story that incorporated that crayon name, colored the crayon line art on the template and voila! Oh~! I also asked the kids to spice up their writing "voice" by starting their stories with a preposition. I LOVE having them do this because it automatically makes them write with more flair. No boring "one day I found a macaroni and cheese crayon" leads or introductions that say "granny smith apples are good." The leads my kids were churning out today were things such as "Outside my window, I could tell by the robin's egg blue sky, it was going to be a great day." Or, "Beneath my toes, the grass of the mountain meadow felt cool on the warm summer day."
The kids LOVED this exercise, so much when they finished one color, they came asking to do a second, sometimes third color.


"Over the steaming sidewalk, through the soft sand, I looked at the Pacific Blue Ocean. The sun was shining like there was no tomorrow..."

No comments:

Post a Comment