Friday, February 3, 2012

Fifth graders like bubble blowing, too

The fifth graders were feeling a little left out having seen the cutesy "how to blow a bubble" writing projects by first grade, and they're working hard prepping for their state writing test coming up in March. So to bribe help them to write an informational piece, we did the project, sans cute art project.
They all thought it was going to be an easy write, until we "edited" by taking their drafts, getting a piece of gum and acting them out.
Here I am with one of my faves (I admit it, sue me) who failed to tell me to take my gum out of the wrapper and instead wrote "get a piece of gum. First you put it in your mouth."

After a closer look at their writing, they went back and revised, really thinking through the steps. We basically decided when you're writing an informational, how-to piece, you're writing for a moron who doesn't have a clue to do that thing you're trying to teach.
Here I am with another fave (I know) having successfully blown an epic bubble following his awesome instructions.
Oh, and while I'm at it, here's a picture of at least part of my room.


No comments:

Post a Comment